The Chesapeake Bay Foundation seeks a Grassroots Organizing Intern to be based in CBF’s Office located in Harrisburg, PA and work in York County, PA.
THE CHESAPEAKE BAY FOUNDATION
The Chesapeake Bay Foundation (CBF) is the largest regional non-profit conservation organization working solely to save the Bay. Established in 1967, CBF has a staff of approximately 185 employees working in offices in Annapolis Maryland; Richmond and VA Beach, Virginia; Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; and Washington, D.C., and in 15 field education program locations. Our staff and volunteer corps work throughout the region educating students and adults, advocating for clean water polices, restoring waterways, and litigating when necessary.
CBF's headquarters office in Annapolis, MD is the Philip Merrill Environmental Center, the world’s first U.S. Green Build Council’s LEED platinum building. In 2014, CBF opened The Brock Environmental Center in Virginia Beach, VA. The Brock Center is one of the most energy efficient, environmentally smart buildings in the world.
CBF has an annual budget of approximately $21 million and is supported by more than 200,000 members and e-subscribers. For more information on CBF please visit www.cbf.org.
CONTEXT OF THE POSITION
Grassroots Organizing Interns will have the opportunity to work with & shadow members of the CBF staff that work to mobilize York County, Pennsylvania communities to take action on the issue of water quality and the broader Chesapeake Bay watershed cleanup effort. The Grassroots Interns will enjoy hands-on experience in working with the CBF Grassroots staff as they play a critical role in building the public and political support needed to Save the Bay and its Pennsylvania rivers and streams.
This is a Fall 2015 internship position. The position may be extended to Spring 2016 for successful and interested candidates. Interns will work between 10-15 hours per week, including flexed time on evenings and weekends.
Job Duties Include:
- Through petitioning, phone banking, and other methods of outreach, interns will assist staff in identifying community members who are motivated by issues of environmental protection and watershed health to recruit as volunteers.
- Interns will participate in making calls on the phone each week assisting staff as they lead outreach to supporters and recruiting them to come to community events and actions.
- Interns will be able to attend events & assist Grassroots staff with actions in which volunteers participate. Examples of events that Organizers might run are letter-writing events, phone banking, volunteer canvassing, petitioning at farmer’s markets, happy hours for supporters, etc…
- Interns will learn how staff keep records about the supporters they identify, and assist Organizers in data entry.
- Interns will be able to assist in writing brochures or fact sheets to support CBF organizing and outreach activities.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Strong communication skills, work ethic, and passion for environmental and community welfare issues. Candidates must be able to work within a team, and independently. Multi-lingual candidates preferred. Must have valid driver’s license and a vehicle. School credit and mileage reimbursements are available.
Interns would preferably start immediately but start date negotiations are possible. Positions are currently available in Harrisburg, PA with regular work in York County. Some work from home is possible, as well.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume no later than October 12, 2015 to:
Chesapeake Bay Foundation
The Chesapeake Bay Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.