The Chesapeake Bay Foundation seeks a Benefits Specialist to be based at their Philip Merrill Environmental Center headquarters located in Annapolis, MD.
THE CHESAPEAKE BAY FOUNDATION
The Chesapeake Bay Foundation (CBF) is the largest regional non-profit conservation organization working solely to save the Bay. Established in 1967, CBF has a staff of approximately 185 employees working in offices in Annapolis Maryland; Richmond and Norfolk, Virginia; Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; and Washington, D.C., and in 15 field education program locations. CBF's headquarters office is in the Philip Merrill Environmental Center, the world’s first LEED platinum building.
CBF has an annual budget of approximately $21 million and is supported by more than 200,000 members and e-subscribers. For more information on CBF please visit www.cbf.org.
CONTEXT OF THE POSITION
Responsible for the day-to-day administration of all CBF’s Health & Welfare plans (including health, dental, vision, FSA, life, disability, EAP, COBRA & retirement). Works to provide excellent customer service to staff in relations to benefits. Offer suggestions and improvements to Director of HR to current plans and ensure that plans are compliant and operating efficiently. Will also be trained in areas of recruitment, policy, training and budgeting in order work cross-functionally with the other members of the HR team.
Essential functions include:
- Assemble & prepare new staff information & binder and conduct new staff benefit orientations.
- Handle all benefit carrier enrollments & terminations and input deduction information into internal HR/Payroll systems.
- Work with Payroll Manager to ensure proper deduction processing on a bi-weekly payroll schedule.
- Serve as a point of contact for all staff regarding benefit and claim questions, liaison with brokers and carriers to get issues successfully resolved in a timely manner. Maintain excellent customer service with staff, keeping in close communication with them through the resolution process.
- Ensure that all staff with life changes are enrolling and updating their benefits and beneficiaries in a timely manner.
- Research & keep up to date with benefit and employment laws, including Health Care Reform and ensure CBF is compliant.
- Review & reconcile monthly benefit bills and submit for payment. Address and work to resolve any billing errors with the carriers.
- Monitor staff EAP usage and utilize that information in order to develop monthly EAP tips and advice
- Participate in the Open Enrollment process including benefit selection, design and pricing. Prepare Open Enrollment packets, ensure proper set up of online enrollment system and track staff selections. Schedule and lead staff Open Enrollment meetings. Ensure all Open Enrollment deductions have properly transferred over to payroll.
- Assist in processing any disability and life insurance claims.
- Keep benefit information on The Hub (internal staff site) up to date and organized.
- Generate and distribute staff anniversary letters, HR metrics, and updates to the organizational chart and staff directory.
- Assist with the mid-year and annual performance management process evaluations to include score verification, attachment collection, and distribution.
- Creates and maintain employee benefit & personnel files, day to day filings, retention compliance requirements & annual audits,
- Responsible for the annual “Longevity Award” policy and execution.
- Provides back-up for any of the other HR roles/functions within the department.
- Perform other duties assigned which are substantially similar in scope, nature or character to those outlined above.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience. Three years of experience in benefit management and/or administration. General knowledge of all benefit operations and of all State & Federal laws related to benefits including FSA, Section 125, COBRA, ERISA, FMLA & ADA. Good oral and written communication skills. Working knowledge of multi-level, tri-state benefit administration. Must have a working knowledge of standard office procedures and be proficient in computer systems, MS Office software, HR software, Internet applications, ORG plus, standard office equipment, Mangrove payroll software (or experience with other payroll/HRIS vendors), Adobe LiveCycle Designer/Professional experience, a plus.
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, and salary history and requirements no later than March 14, 2014 to:
Chesapeake Bay Foundation
CBF offers a comprehensive benefits package to include: 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, health, vision, dental, life insurance, and a tax deferred annuity plan. The Chesapeake Bay Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.