What is Community Supported Agriculture?
Registration for the 2017 season has closed. Please check back with us in early 2018.
Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) is a contemporary marketing tool for farmers, which allows the consumer to pre-purchase a "share" of the harvest for the season—thus creating a mutually supportive relationship between local farmers and community members.
Want Our Produce? Two Options:
- CSA Membership—Most of our customers buy our produce by paying in the winter for a membership in our CSA. Each week, from mid-May to mid-November, we divide our harvest by the number of our shares. All you need to do is come to your pick-up site and take your portion of that harvest. In addition, you are welcome to come to your farm at any time to visit, to help, or to harvest as much as you want from the items on our "you-pick" list. The "you-pick" list might include flowers, herbs, and any vegetables we have in abundance that week, such as tomatoes or kale. For more information on our CSA details, including pick-up times and locations, please see our CSA season details.
- Clagett Farm Workshare—Pick your own veggies! Work five hours or more at the farm and take home a share of produce fresh-picked by you. Each week that you work, you take home the same share of produce that a paying CSA member would take. Please see the Volunteering page for the guidelines on participating in worksharing at the farm.
Why Join Clagett Farm's CSA?
- Because your purchases should reflect what's important to you.
- Fresh! Most of it is harvested the same day you receive it.
- Delicious! We choose varieties for their flavor, not their ability to endure cross-country travel.
- It's your farm! You can meet your farmers, see how we grow your food, and even lend a hand.
- Local! We're just 15 miles from the U.S. Capitol building—purchasing a share keeps your food dollars in our local community and helps preserve farmland.
- Good neighbors! We distribute almost half of our produce, free or at low cost, to low-income families that need it.
- Healthy! Your share will encourage you to eat more fresh vegetables, and to eat them in season when they are most nutritious, flavorful, and environmentally friendly.
- Organic and Bay-friendly! Our produce is free of petro-chemicals. We use only safe, natural techniques to fertilize our soil and manage pests and weeds. The health of our eco-system, our staff, and our community is our top priority. We do not use genetically modified seeds.