Via Somers Cove Marina
Crisfield, MD 21817
From the Bay Bridge/Annapolis
- Take Route 50 East across the Bay Bridge towards Salisbury/Ocean City
- Take Route 13 SOUTH toward Pocomoke City
- Continue on Route 13 for approximately 22 miles
- Exit onto Route 413 toward Crisfield *
- After about 15 miles you’ll be driving through downtown Crisfield
- Make a LEFT on N. 7th Street
- Take your first RIGHT onto Broadway Avenue
- Drive through the black gate into Somers Cover Marina
- If the gate is closed, there is another automated gate entrance further down N. 7th St. – turn RIGHT through that entrance
- Drive to the marina parking lot in the back LEFT near the J. Millard Tawes Museum
- The Susquehanna will be parked in a slip off of this back parking lot
- Ask boat captain for a parking pass
- Cars and buses may park overnight
From Bay Bride Tunnel/ Norfolk
- Follow Route 13 North to Route 413 to Crisfield. *Follow directions above.
Plan to arrive in Crisfield by noon to eat lunch before boarding the Susquehanna in Somers Cove Marina at 12:30 pm. CBF staff will be there by 12:15 pm to greet the group and help load the boat. The group will depart Tylerton no later than 11:30 am on the group’s final day. The ferry schedule is weather dependent.
Via Smith Point Marina
989 Smith Point Rd.
Reedville, VA 22539
From points North
- Follow Rout 95 South for about 5 miles south of Fredericksburg
- Take Route 17 South to Tappahannock
- In Tappahannock, take Route 360 East for about 40 miles *
- Just before Reedville, look for Bay Motel on the right (Route 360 bears right)
- Bear left and follow signs for Smith Point Marina
- Cars and busses may park in the marina overnight. No parking pass is needed.
From points South
- Take Route 95 North to Richmond
- In Richmond, take Route 360 East. *Follow directions from US-360 East above.
Via Onancock Ferry
2 Market Street
Onancock, VA 23417
near Mallards Restaurant
From the Bay Bridge/Annapolis
- Take Route 50 East across the Bay Bridge towards Salisbury
- Take Route 13 Business South toward Pocomoke City
- Continue on Route 13 for approximately 60 miles
- Turn right at VA-179 W/W Main St for approximately 1 mile
- Continue on Market Street and look for signs for Onancock Wharf
From western Virginia
- From Richmond, take I-295 South via exit 177 toward Airport/Washington/Norfolk
- Merge onto I-64 via exit 28A toward Norfolk/VA Beach
- Merge onto US-13 via exit 282 toward Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (portions toll)
- US-13 north becomes Charles M Lankford Jr. Memorial Highway/Lankford Highway/US-13-Bypass north
- Turn left onto VA-179/W. Main Street. Continue to follow VA-179. (VA-179 is 0.1 miles past Bank Street.)
- Continue on Market Street. 2 Market Street is on left.
Plan to arrive in Reedville, VA or Onancock, VA, board the public ferry, Captain Jason II, and depart at 11:00 am sharp. CBF staff will meet the group at the dock in Tylerton. The return boat will leave Tylerton at 11:30 am on the day of the group's departure and will arrive in Reedville, VA or Onancock, VA between 12:30 pm and 12:45 pm. These ferry schedules are weather dependent.
- Special arrangements may be made to pick up groups from southern Maryland at Point Lookout State Park.
- All times and pick up locations are weather dependent and may be subject to change! Please contact Smith Island Program directly (410-968-1902 office or 443-515-0241 cell) to verify ferry arrangements.
- All pick ups after mid-October in the fall season and before mid-April in the spring season will take place in Crisfield, MD.
- If you are leaving vehicles in the parking lot at Crisfield, MD, we will provide you with parking permits, which must be displayed. Please encourage participants to use the marina restrooms instead of the museum facilities. The marina facilities. The marina facilities are located to the left if you are facing the harbor.