As if you needed a reason . . . longer and warmer days, blue blue skies, birds and insects and flowers just waking up to the world. All this makes spring pretty great. Even still, we thought we'd take a moment to celebrate all there is to love about this incredible season. Here are nine reasons:
1. The return of familiar friends like the osprey! Every spring, these quintessential Chesapeake birds travel thousands of miles to return to the same nests, where they reunite with their mate, breed, and fish for menhaden. Often called the "osprey garden," the Chesapeake Bay has the most concentrated population of osprey in the world! Listen in as CBF's Senior Naturalist John Page Williams discusses these extraordinary birds in our latest podcast.
2. Strawberries! Our sustainable Clagett Farm bursts with life every spring, including the juiciest, sweetest strawberries you've ever tasted. Learn more about our farm and how you can get your hands on some of these life-altering strawberries.
3. Spring Break! Forget Cancun (or dare we say Daytona?), inspiring college students from the University of Virginia and the University of Maryland Alternative Spring Break Programs chose the tropical shores of the Chesapeake to spend their vacations. Here they braved chilly nights on CBF's beach, planted trees across Maryland's farm fields, and cleaned oyster shell at our Oyster Restoration Center. Take a look at these photos to see these dedicated students in action, then watch the video below for a more in-depth view of what inspires these extraordinary students.
4. Learning outside! This past Monday, our spring education season launched with full force. Each spring, thousands of students and teachers come out with us to learn about the Bay and its waters and how they can help them. We've still got spots available on some of our programs--click here to sign up.
5. Taking pictures! Spring's early morning light, sweetbay magnolias stretching their newly blooming branches to the sky, a river's still, quiet surface just before twilight--these moments can inspire even the most photographically uninclined individuals. And what better way to showcase these images than by submitting them to our annual Save the Bay Photo Contest launching this coming Monday.
6. Planting trees! Remember your childlike self (and do something amazing for the Bay and its rivers at the same time) by digging in the dirt and planting a tree. Check out some of the plantings we're hosting in Maryland over the next few weeks.
7. Earth Day! Though we like to think every day is Earth Day, this special day (April 22) reminds us how fragile, beautiful, and all-important our planet is. Read on for an oldie but a goodie on the origins of Earth Day.
8. Sailing and boating! Is there anything better than that first day out on the water . . . when the air isn't so numbingly cold and the wind on your face is refreshing rather than irritating? We can't wait for spring days out on the water--join us for one of our Bay Discovery trips!
9. Clean the Bay Day! Though not taking place until June 4, this annual event, 28 years in the making, rallies thousands of Virginians together on one day to clean up the Commonwealth's shorelines. Learn more about this awesome day and sign up here.
CBF's Senior Manager of Digital Media