CBF staff prepare spat-catcher cages to be distributed later that day at a spat catcher workshop. Photo by CBF Staff
How You Can Help Restore the Lafayette
Here are some of things you and your neighbors can do to help restore the Lafayette River.
Improve Water Quality
- Construct rain gardens, which help control stormwater runoff. Download our "how to" guide and check our list of recommended plants.
- Plant native trees and shrubs, which reduce pollution flowing into our waterways.
- Install pet-waste disposal stations so less pet waste is carrying bacteria into the Lafayette.
- Install educational storm drain medallions.
Help Restore Oysters
- Grow oysters for restoration on your dock or pier.
- Install spat (seed oyster) catchers on your dock.
- Place oyster reef balls in the river.
- Download the Lafayette River Oyster Restoration fact sheet and find out about CBF's Lafayette River Oyster Survey.
Get Involved in Your Community
Get information about VoiCeS (Volunteers as Chesapeake Stewards), CBF's adult education program.