CBF offers many opportunities for students, teachers, and other adults to get outside and learn about the wonders of our Bay region. Here's everything you need to apply for one of our one-day programs or multi-day programs.
- Complete the application and submit by the deadline specified. Note that summer program applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, and programs and staff availability for the summer season are not determined/confirmed until late-May.
- When completing your application, please take the following into account:
- Programs: Some programs run from a variety of locations. Please indicate your preferred canoe, boat, or ferry location after the program name. If you do not select a site, our field staff will select one with you after the trip is booked. The cost for the Smith Point or Onancock ferry is $400/group and is available from mid-April through mid-October, weather permitting.
- Dates: Please be flexible about the date of your program(s). We will make every effort to accommodate you but cannot guarantee specific dates. Indicate how many trips you will need.
- Group Size: The number of participants includes teachers and chaperones. Maximum numbers are listed on group size and pricing chart. If your group size exceeds the maximum number allowed for a program, you have two options: request two or more programs on the same date, or request the program on multiple dates.
- An e-mail will be sent to confirm receipt of your application. If you do not receive a confirmation e-mail it means that we did not receive your application. To prevent your e-mail service from marking your confirmation message as spam, please add cbf.org to your accepted domains list.
- A confirmation letter confirming your program date(s) will be e-mailed approximately one month after the application due date.
- If we are unable to fill your request, you will be placed on a waitlist and may receive a date later in the season, as cancellations come in. You will only be notified if we are able to fill your request.
- Pre-trip information will be e-mailed to you shortly after the confirmation letter.
- Signed confirmation letters and payment/deposits are due back to our office by the date noted on your confirmation letter.
- Cancellations: There is no penalty for canceling your program 30 days ahead for one-day programs or 45 days ahead for multi-day programs. Cancellations made after the 30/45 days grace period will forfeit your deposit and affect your chances for a future field experience.
If you have further questions, feel free to contact Education Scheduling at 800-445-5572 or EducationCoordinator@cbf.org.
Thanks in large part to private donations, the Chesapeake Bay Foundation can offer student programs at rates that are much lower than the actual operating costs of our programs.
The Chesapeake Bay Trust, funded by "Treasure the Chesapeake" license plates, supplies schools with grants for environmental projects and field trips. For further information on their application procedure, contact the Chesapeake Bay Trust, 60 West Street, Annapolis, MD 21401; 410-974-2941. cbtrust.org
Maryland schools: The Maryland State Department of Education has provided CBF with a grant that subsidizes the cost of our programs for Maryland schools to $220 per day for a one-day program. For more information, please contact EducationCoordinator@cbf.org or call 800-445-5572.
Virginia schools: The Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation website maintains a current list of state, regional, and national grants. For more information, visit www.dcr.virginia.gov/environmental_education/grants.shtml
Pennsylvania schools: The Pennsylvania Department of Education's Meaningful Watershed School $3,000 Mini-Grant Program provides funding to schools for field studies and restoration projects. For more information, visit www.depweb.state.pa.us (Keyword: EE Grants) or call 717-772-1828.
All Schools/School Groups: Due to cuts in state funding, we are not offering reduced rates.
If you receive the following error message:
"Please wait...If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the document, your PDF viewer may not be able to display this type of document."
Most browsers now have built-in PDF viewers, PDF add-ons or extensions that do not support Adobe interactive forms. If you receive the above message please
- Download the latest version of Adobe Reader.
- Download the application file.
- Use Adobe Reader to open it on your computer.
To save the file to your computer:
- Chrome and Firefox
Right mouse click the link and select "Save Link As." Follow prompts to save the file to your location, taking care to recognize where you saved the PDF file. You may then open it within Adobe Reader.
- Internet Explorer
Right mouse click the link and select "Save Target As." Follow prompts to save the file to your location, taking care to recognize where you saved the PDF file. You may then open it within Adobe Reader.
If you have trouble opening the application files, please follow these instructions:
- If using Leopard or Safari browser AND AdobePDFViewer plugin is installed, you should delete the plugin.
- If using the built-in Mac OS Preview tool, download and use Adobe Reader.
Saving PDF files to Macintosh
- Either control+click or click and hold the mouse button down on the link until the menu pops up. Select the item from the menu that indicates it will "save" or "download" the filek. Select the file type before you click OK (the file type should be PDF or source, depending on your browser).
Applications are currently available for the following one-day field programs.
Applications for Student Groups
- Fall 2018 Student One-Day Programs Application — Limited Programs/Dates Available
- Summer 2018 Student One-Day Programs Application*
Applications for Adult Groups
- Fall 2018 Adult One-Day Programs Application — Limited Programs/Dates Available
- Summer 2018 Adult One-Day Programs Application*
Applications are currently available for the following multi-day field programs.
Applications for Student Groups
- Fall 2018/Spring 2019 Student Multi-Day Programs Application — DEADLINE 5/18/18
- Summer 2018 Student Multi-Day Programs Application*
Applications for Adult Groups
- Fall 2018/Spring 2019 Adult Multi-Day Programs Application — DEADLINE 5/18/18
- Summer 2018 Adult Multi-Day Programs Application*
Professional Learning Programs
For information about Chesapeake Classrooms and other professional learning opportunities for teachers and principals, please see our Professional Learning section.
Important Information About Opening and Submitting PDF Applications
Some documents are interactive online PDF files and require Adobe Reader. Adobe 11 is strongly recommended for optimal use. Don't have it? Download it here http://get.adobe.com/reader/.
- Click on the form you need.
- Download the form to your computer.
- Open Adobe Reader. (Download the latest version of Adobe Reader)
- From within Reader, open the document you downloaded.
- Upon completion, click the "Submit by E-mail" button at the end of the form.
- You will be asked to select a "desktop mail application" (e.g. Outlook) or "Internet mail" (e.g. Gmail, AOL, etc.)
- A draft e-mail message will be created with your application attached. Personalize your message if you wish, then send.
Caution: If the Submit by Email button does not seem to be working, simply save the completed application to your computer and send it as an attachment from your e-mail account. We will acknowledge receipt of your application by return e-mail.