Photo by Colin Kroh
SPLASHDANCE Photo Contest Official Rules
Click here to go back to the main contest page.
YOU: must be a high school student (at least 13 years old) living in Maryland, Virginia, D.C., or Pennsylvania.
THINK ABOUT: how to best illustrate polluted runoff and how it can look funny or creative.
SUBMIT UP TO FIVE photos, but only ONE will be eligible for the Top 10.
CONTEST ENDS (UPDATE!): Friday, November 22, Friday, December 6, 2013 at 11:59 p.m. EST. Winners will be notified by text message by November 30, December 11, 2013. Contest starts September 18 at 9:00 a.m.
SAFETY NOTE—be safe and nice (duh). Don't risk injury, and ask permission before dumping water on things that aren't yours. If the photo depicts anything unsafe or inappropriate, it will not be accepted.
- By submitting a photo in this contest, you agree to let CBF re-use the photo in various ways (like posting it on our website or Facebook).
- If you are under 18 years of age, your parent or legal guardian must be OK with you participating in this contest, and all prizes must be claimed by your parent or legal guardian.
- When winners who are under 18 are contacted, they will be asked to provide the name and address of their parent or guardian so that prizes can be shipped.
- All entrants may recieve occasional texts from CBF with information about Student Wave projects and opportunities. Texts will explain how students can opt-out at any time.
FULL OFFICIAL RULES
General Contest Information
- The sponsor of this contest is the Chesapeake Bay Foundation (CBF), 6 Herndon Avenue, Annapolis, MD 21403. Phone number: 410-268-8816.
- This is a contest to promote awareness among high school students of polluted runoff issues related to the Chesapeake Bay and the Blueprint for Clean Water. Students will take and text photos of water splashing. Concepts and topics to consider are:
- Polluted runoff: Images that illustrate the concept of how rain on impervious surfaces takes dirt, oil, and other forms of pollution into streams and the Bay. Or how rain on pervious surfaces can filter into the ground without polluting waterways.
- Humor: Images of water splashing in unexpected and funny ways or on unexpected and funny objects or surfaces.
- Creativity: Images of water splashing with interesting lighting, backgrounds, foregrounds, etc.
Who May Enter
- The contest is open to high school students who live in Virginia; Maryland; Washington, D.C. or Pennsylvania, who are at least 13 years of age. No entries will be permitted by children under the age of 13. Entrants between 13 and 17 years of age must have permission from a parent or legal guardian to enter this contest.
- Employees of the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, their immediate family members (spouse, parent, child, sibling, and their respective spouses), and persons living in the same household of employees of the Chesapeake Bay Foundation (whether related or not) are not eligible to enter this contest.
How to Enter
- (CONTEST END DATE EXTENDED) Submissions will be accepted beginning on Wednesday, September 18, 2013 at 9:00:00 a.m. Eastern Time and ending on Friday, November 22 December 6, 2013 at 11:59:59 p.m. Eastern Time, according to CBF’s computers.
- To enter, students must take a photo of water splashing, then text the photo to 63566 (NOTICE: for the first ~30 hours of the contest, the rules stated to text photos to a different number, but due to technical issues the number was changed to 63566). The text must also include the keyword “WAVE”, the student’s name, and the name of the high school they attend. UPDATE as of 10/11/13 - students can alternatively email the photo to firstname.lastname@example.org with their first and last name and school name included in the body of the email.
- If a student submits multiple photos, only the first five submitted will be considered in the contest, and only one out of those five photos can be selected for a prize.
- By submitting an entry, you warrant that your entry complies with all the requirements set out in these Official Rules and you agree to be bound by all the terms and conditions of these Official Rules.
- Submitted photographs must be the original photograph by the entrant and must be the property of the entrant.
- Entrants will be deemed to be the person whose name is submitted with the text, regardless of the name for which the device is registered.
- Photographs must not infringe any copyright or trademark rights or violate any rights of privacy or publicity.
- Photos that contain obscene, defamatory, sexually explicit or otherwise objectionable or inappropriate content will be disqualified in CBF's sole discretion.
- The student who submitted the best photo, as determined by CBF staff based on the criteria set forth herein, will be awarded an iPad mini® (32 GB, wi-fi only) and a CBF shirt and pair of CBF socks. Nine other students who submitted the next-best nine photos, as determined by CBF staff, will be awarded each a CBF shirt and pair of CBF socks.
- The retail value of the iPad® mini is $429.00.
- The Chesapeake Bay Foundation will contact the winners via text on or before (UPDATE) Saturday November 30, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, to obtain the mailing addresses for delivery of the prizes, as well as shirt and sock sizes. If the student is a minor, the winners will be asked to and have to provide the name, address, and phone number of their parent or legal guardian, to whom the prize will be delivered.
- In the event winners do not provide CBF with a mailing address for delivery of the prize or shirt sizes after several reasonable requests, CBF reserves the right to select an alternate winner or not award the prize.
- The prize is not transferable, nor are there substitutions or cash redemptions, except at Chesapeake Bay Foundation’s discretion if the prize becomes unavailable.
- All prizes won by minors will be awarded to a parent or legal guardian.
- Taxes are the sole responsibility of the winners.
- Judging of top ten prizes: Official judging will be performed by a panel of CBF employees. Judges will make their selections based on the photo’s representation of pollution runoff issues, as well as creativity and/or humor. All voting decisions are final and at the discretion of CBF.
- A list of winners will be posted on CBF’s website located at www.cbf.org. A list of winners can also be obtained by sending a written request, with a self-addressed stamped envelope, to CBF at the address stated above, received no later than February 23, 2014.
Other Important Information
- NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT IS NECESSARY TO WIN. A purchase or payment will not increase your chance of winning.
- OFFER IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
- The odds of winning are dependent on the number of entries received and the quality (based on aforementioned criteria) of all the submitted photos.
- By texting in a photo, each participant grants CBF the irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide right to reproduce, distribute, publicly display, publish, and create derivative works of the photo in connection with CBF’s mission in any media now known or hereafter developed, including in CBF publications, on websites, and other promotional materials. CBF does not need to obtain additional consent from entrants relating to, or to notify entrants prior to, the use of any submitted photo. Without limiting the foregoing in any way, entrants specifically understand and acknowledge that all photos submitted will be posted on the CBF Student Wave Facebook page.
- By submitting a photo in this contest, entrants authorize CBF to publicly disclose the entrants’ first name and school in connection with the entrants’ photo, but under no circumstances will CBF publicly disclose the telephone number of any entrant.
- Entries become the property of CBF. CBF is not liable for lost, late, illegible, misdirected, damaged, incomplete, or incorrect entries.
- The Chesapeake Bay Foundation is not responsible for any tampering with this contest (e.g., hackers, viruses, automated entry devices, and other). The Chesapeake Bay Foundation reserves the right to terminate or modify the contest at anytime in case of technical failures or other issues outside of its control. CBF also reserves the right disqualify anyone who violates these Official Rules.
- By entering this contest, all entrants agree to release and hold harmless the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, its officers, directors, employees, and agents from all claims, losses, damages, and liabilities arising out of their participation in this contest and the acceptance of any prize awarded hereunder.
- This contest shall be governed by the laws of the State of Maryland, without regard to its conflict of law rules. The forum for any dispute shall be in Annapolis, Maryland.
- iPad mini® is a registered trademark of Apple, Inc. This contest is not associated with or sponsored by Apple, Inc., the maker of the iPad mini®.