About the Chesapeake Bay Foundation
Established in 1967, the Chesapeake Bay Foundation (CBF) is the largest regional nonprofit conservation organization dedicated to saving the Chesapeake Bay, its rivers and streams, and the wildlife that call it home through education, advocacy, litigation, and restoration. Since 2010, CBF has engaged in a focused effort to defend and implement the Chesapeake Clean Water Blueprint, a binding federal and state collaborative agreement aimed at reducing pollution to the science-based, legally-affirmed levels established by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The Blueprint is expected to be fully implemented by 2025. If the states and the federal government achieve Blueprint goals, the Bay will finally—after decades of failed efforts—be removed from the Clean Water Act’s impaired waters list. Successfully implementing the Blueprint depends on a well-informed, engaged, active, and diverse constituency of members, advocates, and volunteers who speak up and take action to save the Bay.
CBF has a staff of approximately 190 employees working in offices in Annapolis, Maryland; Richmond and Virginia Beach, Virginia; Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; and Washington, D.C. as well as 15 field education program locations. Our staff and volunteer corps work throughout the region educating students and adults, advocating for clean water policies, restoring waterways, and litigating when necessary.
CBF's headquarters office in Annapolis, Maryland is the Philip Merrill Environmental Center, the world’s first U.S. Green Build Council’s LEED platinum building. In 2014, CBF opened the Brock Environmental Center—one of the world’s most energy efficient, environmentally smart buildings—in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
CBF has an annual budget of approximately $26 million and is supported by more than 275,000 members and e-subscribers. For more information on CBF, please visit cbf.org.
Context of the Position
The Director of IT is responsible for the operation of the IT department in alignment with the mission and objectives of the Chesapeake Bay Foundation. This leadership role will plan, coordinate, and oversee all IT-related activities within the organization. They will work with leaders in the organization to ensure IT needs are met, and that the best available technology is used to help the organization achieve their strategic goals. They will set the IT vision and develop a plan for implementing new technologies.
1) Develop vision for IT programs at CBF, including data management, GIS and client services programs.
- Coordinate with upper management to ensure IT meets the needs for the organizational strategic plan.
- Design and implement IT strategic plans.
- dentify and propose technologies and systems to execute IT’s strategic plan and to enable staff to meet their program goals.
- Collaborate with department staff to analyze needs and develop cross-functional solutions to enhance productivity, improve support, and facilitate service delivery to all staff and constituents.
- Identify opportunities to further CBF’s goal of moving technology systems to cloud based solutions.
2) Provide leadership and supervision to IT personnel and contractors.
- Supervise Applications Team, Client Services Team, GIS Team, IT Contractors, and others as needed.
- Identify opportunities for and coordinate ongoing professional training for IT staff.
- Coordinate the services provided by vendors, IT contractors, and consultants.
- Negotiate and/or oversees negotiation with vendors for the purchase of hardware, software, training, and network services.
3) Oversee and manage IT operations with a focus on customer service and implementation of best practices.
- Oversee helpdesk operation to ensure the best client service experience.
- Use help desk ticketing system to assess reports and ensure effective and efficient resolutions.
- Supervise provisioning of end-user services that includes equipment distribution and technical support delivery.
- Provide expertise and support during upgrades, installations, conversions and general maintenance of IT systems.
- Oversee network, server and security infrastructure, connectivity, and monitoring.
- Oversee the development, deployment, monitoring, maintenance and support of systems including PCs, mobile devices, telephones, software applications, etc.
- Ensure documentation of all implemented systems.
- Review and revise Standard Operating Policies and procedures for documentation, systems architecture, security, disaster recovery, purchasing, change management and service provision.
- Develop and manage Capital and Operational IT budgets.
4) Lead and oversee the implementation and continuous improvement of software applications throughout the organization.
- Work with staff and departments to understand business processes throughout the organization and identify opportunities for technology to improve process.
- Manage the process for new software selections. Gather requirements and use cases to identify and evaluate options.
- Oversee the process of continuous improvement within existing applications by understanding organizational needs and software functionality, particularly as it relates to the adoption and usage of the Salesforce platform.
- Understand how data is used across the organization and oversee initiatives to ensure data integrity and access to data.
- Oversee and manage the integration of CBF database systems, including events scheduling database, Salesforce, SQL Server, and GIS.
5) Ensure high levels of customer service to staff with regular communication and development of specific training plans.
- Provide regular communications to all users of IT systems and services that includes upcoming plans, project updates and any expected changes/interruptions.
- Ensure robust onboarding training program for new staff, as well as ongoing training for all staff for new software.
Professional Experience and Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related degree, eight years of experience in the IT field including three years of IT management experience. Prior experience managing complex IT systems within a mission-driven organization is highly preferred. Minimum 3 years of documented experience administering the Salesforce platform is required. In depth knowledge of related non-profit cloud technologies is critical. A working knowledge of infrastructure/networking concepts is preferred.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S.
How to Apply
Using the link below, please submit a cover letter and resume no later than February 20, 2019.Apply Now
CBF offers a comprehensive benefits package to include: 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, health, vision, dental, life insurance, and a tax deferred retirement plan.
CBF encourages diverse candidates to apply and is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment. CBF is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.