What is Community Supported Agriculture?
Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) is a contemporary marketing tool for farmers, which allows the consumer to pre-purchase a "share" of the harvest for the season—thus creating a mutually supportive relationship between local farmers and community members.
Want Our Produce? You HaveTwo Options:
- CSA Membership
Most of our customers buy our produce by paying in the winter for a membership in our CSA. Each week, from mid-May to mid-November, we divide our harvest by the number of our shares. All you need to do is come to your pick-up site (we have three to choose from) and take your portion of that harvest. In addition, you are welcome to come to the farm at any time to visit, to help, or to harvest as much as you want from the items on our "you-pick" list. The "you-pick" list might include flowers, herbs, and any vegetables we have in abundance that week, such as tomatoes or kale. *During the current COVID-19 crisis the farm is closed to visitors and volunteers. For additional information visit our CSA seasonal details blog post.
- Clagett Farm Workshare—*During the current COVID-19 crisis the farm is closed to workshares and volunteers. Pick your own veggies! Work five hours or more at the farm and take home a share of produce fresh-picked by you. Each week that you work, you take home the same share of produce that a paying CSA member would take. Please see the Volunteering page for the guidelines on participating in worksharing at the farm.
Eight Reasons to Join Clagett Farm's CSA
- Because your purchases should reflect what's important to you.
- Fresh! Most of it is harvested the same day you receive it.
- Delicious! We choose varieties for their flavor, not their ability to endure cross-country travel.
- It's your farm! You can meet your farmers, see how we grow your food, and even lend a hand.
- Local! We're just 15 miles from the U.S. Capitol building—purchasing a share keeps your food dollars in our local community and helps preserve farmland.
- Good neighbors! We distribute almost half of our produce, free or at low cost, to low-income families that need it.
- Healthy! Your share will encourage you to eat more fresh vegetables, and to eat them in season when they are most nutritious, flavorful, and environmentally friendly.
- Organic and Bay-friendly! Our produce is free of petro-chemicals. We use only safe, natural techniques to fertilize our soil and manage pests and weeds. The health of our eco-system, our staff, and our community is our top priority. We do not use genetically modified seeds.
Seasonal Updates on Our Blog
Every week during the season (mid-May to mid-November), usually by 3:00 p.m. on Wednesdays, we will post a list of what is in the share that afternoon and the following Saturday on our Clagett Farm blog. Shareholders can sign up to have these posts sent to their e-mail address. We also post news from the farm, photos, and recipes.