Student Field Program Rates
Program information and rate updates effective Fall 2023.
Additional Information on Rates and Billing
- Note the new pricing for programs above. Thanks to generous donors we are still able to keep fees under 25 percent of the actual cost of running a program.
- Fees are now a flat rate for both one-day programs and multi-day programs and both programs will require a deposit.
- Multi-day (Island) program rates do NOT include food. You are responsible for bringing food for your group plus three CBF educators. (sample menus available upon request)
- *Ferry: For Port Isobel and Smith Island: program rates include lodging and the round-trip ferry from Crisfield, Maryland (Eastern Shore). The Smith Point ferry (Reedville, Virginia) is available between April 15 and October 15. The Onancock, Virginia ferry is available year round. The round-trip cost for both the Smith Point and Onancock ferries is an additional $400.
- **Philip Merrill Environmental Education Program may be booked for a single group (max 30) or double group (max 60).
- Brock Environmental Center: Boat and land-based programs are available at the Brock Environmental Center through the Hampton Roads and Virginia Rivers & Streams East Environmental Education Programs. On your application, select the Brock Center as your preferred program location.
Available Student Field Program Request Forms
The Student Field Program Request Form must be completed by the lead contact attending the program. Specify request details in "Notes" section if needed. Applications received after each season's deadline are subject to program availability.
- Programs: Indicate your first choice. Check the "Other Program Options" box if you are open to other programs, should the program you request be unavailable on the dates you provide.
- Location: Select your preferred canoe, boat, or ferry location. See the Student Field Programs page for current list of sites. If you do not select a site, our program staff will select one with you after your date is confirmed.
- Dates: We ask for three preferred dates. Flexible requests allow us to accommodate the many schools making student field program requests. We will make every effort to schedule your top requested dates.
- One-day program requests: Indicate how many dates you are requesting for the program.
- Multi-day program requests: Your preferred dates will indicate the preferred arrival date of your group. CBF's scheduling team can then determine what your departure date will be two days later.
- Group Size: The number of participants includes students, teachers, and chaperones. Maximum numbers are listed above and on the program request form. If you group size exceeds the maximum number allowed for a program, you have two options: request two or more programs on the same day or request the program on multiple dates.
Once booked, you will receive a confirmation email containing information on the program(s), date(s), and amount due. You must sign and return the confirmation letter and pay for one-day programs at least 30 days in advance and multi-day programs at least 45 days in advance of your scheduled date(s).
If we are unable to fill your request, you will be placed on a waiting list and may receive a date later in the season as cancellations come in. Confirmation and wait list status emails will be sent by July 1 for fall one-day or multi-day program requests and by February 1 for spring one-day program requests.
- To cancel, you must email the scheduling team at [email protected] or call 800-445-5572.
- One-day program cancellation deadline is 30 days prior to scheduled date. Multi-day program cancellation deadline is 45 days prior to scheduled date. Cancellations received after the deadline will forfeit 50% of the program fee. Insufficient notice of cancellation may jeopardize your ability to apply for future programming.
- Refunds for cancelled programs must be requested. If you do not request a refund, your payment will be credited toward another program in the same season. Eligible refunds (for cancellations received prior to the respective 30/45 day deadline) must be requested within 90 days of the cancellation. Credits may not be applied to programs outside the current season.
- In the event of poor weather conditions, CBF may cancel the program without penalty to the group. Best efforts will be made to reschedule based on remaining program availability, or a refund will be issued.
- Due to vehicle/bus accessibility to the Karen Noonan Center (KNC), the above weather policy does not apply. If KNC is part of multiple island centers booked at the same time, the deposit is non-refundable.