Trees improve the air we breathe and provide habitat and food for birds, mammals, and insects. But did you know that clean water grows on trees?
Daisies, Brownies, Juniors
Cadettes, Seniors, Ambassadors
- two activities from Discover,
- two activities from Connect or Take Action, and
- Activity #4 from Take Action.
To order your free patches, go to cbfshop.com/patches.htm. Enter password GPS123. Patches are free, but you will need to pay shipping.
- Identify at least four different trees in your neighborhood.
- Tree Identification resources:
- Watch the video and complete the worksheet for at least one of the following Learn Outside, Learn at Home Investigations:
- Create a nature journal and draw, identify, and describe at least three different kinds of leaves.
- Nature Journaling resource: Surrounded by Trees: Seeds, Share, Beams, and Books (Chesapeake Bay Foundation)
- Observe tree heights and diameters using the GLOBE Observer app
- Once you download the Globe Observer app, use the Referral Code: GLIDQMMJ when creating your account.
- Use the app's Trees section of the app to log your observations.
- Research your community's history of land use:
- Is there a legacy of harvesting trees for timber? Mining? Agriculture?
- How are land use and trees connected?
- Speak with your county's conservation district manager.
- How are trees used in stewardship projects throughout your area?
- Raise awareness about the importance of trees by making a poster or collage that helps educate others.
- Take a hike! Bring a journal and keep track of all the different tree species you find on your journey.
- Develop a skit or education presentation to share with younger Girl Scouts to teach them about the importance of trees.
- Plan and coordinate a community tree planting event.
- Participate in a volunteer tree planting in your area.
This patch program was created in partnership with the Girl Scouts Heart of Pennsylvania, Girl Scouts of the Chesapeake Bay Council, Keystone Ten Million Trees Partnership and the Chesapeake Bay Foundation.