You can make a gift of appreciated securities—publicly traded stocks, bonds, and mutual fund shares—to CBF while avoiding capital gains tax and/or securing a stream of income. It’s easy, and it makes an impact!
How It Works
- You transfer securities to CBF.
- CBF sells the securities and uses the proceeds to fund essential Bay-saving programs.
How You Benefit
- You receive credit and an immediate income tax deduction for the fair market value (average high and low prices on the day of the transfer).
- You completely avoid capital gains tax.
- You may fund a charitable gift annuity that diversifies your portfolio and allows you to receive fixed payments for life.
Note: To garner the greatest tax savings, the stock contributed must have been held by you for more than 12 months.
Please let us know the stock is coming by contacting Terri Gray at 443-482-2116 or email@example.com with the name of the stock (including symbol), number of shares that will be transferred, and broker that will transfer them. We need this information to credit you properly and issue the receipt you will need for tax purposes.
Contact your broker to initiate the stock transfer. Use the following data to transfer the stock to our account at PNC Bank:
- Account Name: Chesapeake Bay Foundation
- Account Number: 21-46-001-5910836
- DTC Number: 2616
- Contact: Gregg Wade, 412-807-6043
- Please make sure the broker includes your full name on the transfer
Before giving mutual funds, please contact Member Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org or 443-482-2189, or Terri Gray at email@example.com or 443-482-2116 with the fund name and ticker symbol. We will then provide you with instructions for transfer.
Creative Plans for Securities Gifts
You can use a gift of securities to fund a gift that pays you income, like a charitable gift annuity. You pay no upfront capital gains tax on the transfer and you will receive fixed income payments for life. As a result, you support CBF’s mission while diversifying your portfolio and securing a stream of income.
For questions about using stock to fund a charitable gift annuity or other planned gift, contact Member Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org or 443-482-2189.
The material presented on this website is not offered as legal or tax advice. Please consult your tax advisor, financial planner, or attorney about the legal and tax benefits of any gift to CBF.