You've made your run to the grocery store and bought your eggs, milk, and toilet paper, but if you're anything like me, you don't want what you have in the pantry. Here are some solutions!
While restaurants around the region are closing their doors, our partners in the Chesapeake Oyster Alliance are figuring out new ways to bring the tasty bivalve to your plate. They've stepped up their delivery programs and are hoping to bring orders directly to you at your home. If you live within the delivery area of these companies, give them a ring and help a local company that is helping to save the Bay.
- Rogue Oysters (Lancaster, Va.): Deliveries available on or near the Northern Neck. You can also purchase a gift card or order directly on their website.
- Sapidus Farms (Wicomico Church, Va.): Email farmer Mike directly to order.
- Big Island Aquaculture (Hayes, Va.): Email Bruce Vogt directly to order.
- Chessie Seafood York River Oysters (Wicomico, Va.): Contact Chessie Seafood online or by email for UPS shipping or pick-up (without contact) in Gloucester County, Virginia.
- Orchard Point (Chestertown, Md.): Orchard Point is working with The Retriever Bar in Chestertown for a pick-up spot for their oysters. Learn more on their Instagram page.
- Fisherman's Daughter Oysters (Tilghman Island, Md.): Order directly from their website.
- Hollywood Oyster Company (Hollywood, Md.): Order directly from their website.
- Hoopers Island Oyster Co. (Cambridge, MD): Oysters and shucked pints may be ordered online for pick up Monday, Wednesday and Friday between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. or by appointment at our retail location, 837 Chesapeake Drive, Cambridge, Maryland. Oysters and shucked pints are also available at Emily's Produce and at the Easton Farmers Market.
- VanAlstine Seafood and Farm (Dunkirk, Md.): Order via phone 443-223-3433 or email for on-farm pick-up in Dunkirk, Maryland. Farm hours are Saturday and Sunday from noon-5:00 p.m.
- Double T Oyster Ranch (Tall Timbers, MD): order via Facebook or through Instagram @TT_Oyster.
WILD Kombucha is helping you stay hydrated by delivering to homes in Baltimore City and Baltimore County. Mix and match your flavors and order by the dozen! WILD Kombucha donates 1 percent of their sales to our Bay-saving work.
Fruits and Veggies
While pick-up doesn’t begin until mid-May, make sure you buy your supply of sustainable, Bay-friendly fruits and vegetables through CBF’s Clagett Farm Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program that will last you through the fall. The farm is exploring different ways for you to pick up your share from sites in Annapolis and Upper Marlboro, Maryland, as well as Washington, D.C. while keeping your health and safety in mind, first and foremost.
Smith Island Cake
The State Dessert of Maryland can now be made from home! The infamous Mary Ada Marshall helped us make a video a few years back with her secret Smith Island Cake recipe, and we’re bringing it out of the archive for you to make at home—we hope you have a lot of cake pans!