In August 2015, CBF's Maryland office held a webinar, "Dive In! How Citizens Can Engage in Local Development Decisions Affecting Clean Water," to de-mystify the rules governing growth and highlight the best opportunities for citizens to influence development decisions. [The presentation, plus a suite of helpful resources, are available on this page.]
Use these resources to get insights from CBF's Maryland scientist, attorney, and land use planner that help answer questions including:
- How does development affect water quality?
- Where can I find the information I need to be an effective advocate?
- When and how should I engage?
Then, take action!
- A PDF of the "How Citizens Can Engage" webinar slide show with presenter notes
- Listen to a recording of the webinar audio
- 3:17 Impact of Development on Water Quality, Doug Myers, CBF Maryland Senior Scientist
- 15.42 Land Use & Planning Perspective, Erik Fisher, CBF Maryland Land Use Planner
- 21:22 Knowing the Process, Erik Fisher
- 31:31 Knowing the Laws that Govern the Development Process, Elaine Lutz, CBF Maryland Staff Attorney
- 48:34 Tips for How to Engage Successfully
- A Citizens' Guide to Influencing Development in Maryland
- A Citizen's Guide to the Critical Area Program in Maryland
- A Citizen's Guide to the Forest Conservation Act in Maryland
- A Citizen's Guide to Protecting Wetlands in Maryland
- A Citizen's Guide to Erosion and Sediment Control in Maryland