Fall in the Chesapeake is a glorious affair—golden marshlands, crisp mountain days, and water so blue you could take a bite of it. This month, enjoy peak leaf-peeping season with our list of great outdoor spots around the watershed. Take action for clean water in your own yard—starting with best practices for leaf raking and other steps for sustainable lawn care. Then, have some fun learning about the Bay’s creepiest critters and carving a Chesapeake-themed pumpkin.
Falling for Foliage
Temperatures are dropping, and red, orange, and yellow leaves are starting to arrive across the Bay watershed. It’s a great time to head out and explore the fall beauty of our region. Check out our list of great hikes, biking trails, and more to make the most of this peak leaf-peeping season.
Video: Sustainable Fall Lawns
Whether you’re fighting against weeds or for clean water, fall is the best time of year to take crucial steps to enhance your lawn and local waterways. In this webinar, hear from experts at CBF and Glenstone Museum about how to elevate your lawn to the next level and help save the Bay.
Drop the Rake!
Do the Bay (and your back) a favor this year: leave your rake and leaf blower in the shed. Although people often rake and bag leaves in the fall, many environmental experts say raking leaves and removing them from your property is not only bad for your lawn, but for the environment as well.
Video: Creepy Critters
Move over, ghosts and ghouls. From zombie crabs to mummichogs, the Chesapeake Bay has its own cast of creepy, cool creatures to put some fright in your Halloween. Learn about the top five spooky Bay critters and how they fit into this intricate estuary. And hey, we’d love to see a Hellbender costume!
When it comes time to get out the gourds this year, let your love for the Bay shine through with these 10 free, printable Chesapeake-themed stencils for pumpkin-carving. Once you're finished with your masterpiece, be sure to share it with us and other Bay lovers on social media using #ChesOLanterns.
What You Can Do
- Join us October 28 for the webinar premiere of the CBF Online Watershed Learning (OWL) program. And make sure to check out our other upcoming webinars.
- Marylanders: Join CBF and MOVE Maryland for a virtual day of wellness that helps save the Bay! When registering for the November 7 event, select Chesapeake Bay Foundation to support CBF. Learn more and register at movemaryland.org.
- Find information and resources for voting in the Chesapeake Bay watershed.
- Sign up for our weekly Save the Bay e-newsletter—a weekly roundup of uplifting Bay stories, inspirational videos, helpful teaching resources, and much more.
- Help us continue bringing the Bay to you at home each week. Give today!